Data Privacy and Security
Data privacy and security is increasingly important to your business and that of your clients. A stolen laptop, credit card data theft, employee embezzlement, or a hacker with access to your company’s website or private databases can be a significant threat not only to your clients, but to your valuable reputation as well. Every breach comes with potential liabilities. That’s why the Kaufman & Canoles Data Privacy and Security Practice Group is standing by to respond to your company’s needs, regardless of your size or industry. You may reach us at any time by calling or emailing our hotline – (844) 417.3309 or email@example.com. We provide unparalleled legal service, relentlessly advocating for our clients throughout the entire process—from theft prevention to aggressive litigation.
Our Data Privacy and Security Practice Group has command of numerous data privacy laws, regulations, standards and related issues. We are experienced in the areas of commercial law, corporate finance, business litigation, government contracts and health care laws and regulations. We have built our team with attorneys across disciplines, each with individual knowledge of technology, e-commerce, information security, health care and litigation. We have active relationships with top quality specialists and forensic experts that provides a comprehensive approach to proactive prevention to a well-orchestrated response should a breach occur.
The Kaufman & Canoles Data Privacy and Security Practice Group recommends a preventative approach by ensuring that our clients are compliant with all internal controls and security measures. This includes laws such as HIPAA and the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, as well as other industry-specific rules and regulations. Preparation is vital. For health care providers, we have developed a template that enables you to comply with the HIPAA regulations.
Our secondary goal is to help you discover and eliminate system weaknesses, therefore reducing the risk of future cybersecurity breaches. This occurs within the confidentiality of attorney-client privilege, allowing us to bring in specialized IT professionals who can search for hidden vulnerabilities. The technology experts, with their knowledge of leading-edge systems, allow us to assist clients in need of a legally sound and effective data protection plan. By taking corrective and preventive action, Kaufman & Canoles attempts to avoid future litigation.
Finally, our Data Privacy and Security Practice Group can go to work immediately when the unfortunate circumstance of a breach occurs. We respond promptly with legal advice, assisting your company as it navigates the murky waters of compliance requirements. We guide our clients through the notification process, as well any government investigations. We defend our clients’ interests and limit the multiple liabilities in the event of claims. If the hacker is identified, we will aggressively seek damages.
Areas of expertise include:
- Breach notification and representation before regulators
- Data transfer and representation before regulators
- Intellectual property litigation
- Trade-secret protection and litigation
- Bring your own device (BYOD)
- Employee data management
- Employer and employee relations and privacy
- Government and criminal investigations
- HIPAA and HITECH security assessments and audits
- Payment credit-card industry data security standards (PCI DSS)
- Safe-harbor provisions
- Technology export and import controls
- Advised multispecialty physician practice on reporting breach of protected health information affecting more than 3,000 individuals
- Regularly advises physicians, practices, hospitals, and long-term care providers regarding HIPAA privacy and security policies and procedures
- Regularly assists healthcare covered entities and business associates in analyzing potential breaches of protected health information and HIPAA reporting requirements
- Assist clients with planning and response to breaches of the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards
- Assist clients with the preparation and review of data breach response plans
- Employment Law Update – July 2019
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – Payment Card Information Data Breaches: What Business Owners Probably Do Not, But Should, Know.
- Payment Card Information Data Breaches: What Business Owners Probably Do Not, But Should, Know.
- Data Privacy and Security Client Alert – Equifax Data Breach
- Data Privacy and Security Client Alert – IRS Issues Urgent Warning to Beware of IRS- and FBI-Themed Ransomware Scam
- Data Privacy and Security Client Alert – Beware: Hackers are Now Trying to Access Your Smartphone!
- Data Privacy and Security Client Alert – Wire Transfer Fraud
- Cybersecurity Alert – Ransomware and Cyber Extortion
- Data Privacy and Security Client Alert – Securing PHI on Laptops and Other Portable Devices
- Nicole J. Harrell Qualified as Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – June 2016
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – May 2016
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – HHS Releases HIPAA Security Risk Assessment Tool
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – March 2016
- Cybersecurity & Business Tax Client Alert – February 26, 2016
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – February 2016
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – October 2015
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – September 2015
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – August 2015
- Cybersecurity Newsletter – July 2015
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – June 2015
- Private Client Services Update – Estate Planning for Digital Assets and Digital Access: Bill Proposes to Adopt the Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act in Virginia
- Cybersecurity Client Alert – Fall 2014